Saturday, December 6, 2008

Day 9 - Mal Pais

After waking up I took a drive up to Cafe Zen for some of the best coffee I've had in Costa Rica. While there I net a girl who lived in my neighborhood in San Francisco! It seems that on every trip we've taken to Costa Rica we have met someone who lives close by - I guess it is a small world!

After going back to get Kat, we went back to Cafe Zen and had a good breakfast although the service was exceptionally slower then when I was there just an hour earlier.

Dog at Cafe Zen

We then checked email at Frank's Place, which also had a fast connection. The previous day I had emailed a few hotels in Zancudo and Puerto Jimenez and they said that the weather had cleared up so we decided that we would head to Puerto Jimenez and spend a night in Uvita along the way.

We went back to the hotel to change into our swim suits - I gave a big bag of dirty laundry to the hotel to wash ($10) and then we drove north to Santa Teresa accessing the beach by a path near the supermarket where we got some beers. On the beach we had a nice shade spot but there was a tico family nearby with a non stop barking dog - I think it didn't stop barking for the 2 hours we were there!

Later we drove back to the hotel for a last dip in the pool and shower before going to get dinner. My laundry was done and it was nice to have some clean fresh clothes.
I wanted to go try to watch the sunset again but Kat wanted to rest a bit in the room. I drove to the end of the road at Playa Carmen and there were quite a few people there selling stuff and banging on drums as the sun went down. Boy did she miss out as the sunset was incredible - the entire sky was on fire.

Sunset at Mal Pais

We had passed an Israeli restaurant in Santa Teresa that some people had recommended so we decided it would be a good place for dinner. We left the car at the hotel and decided to walk there only to discover that it was closed. So we walked all the way back stopping to admire a house with full Christmas decorations complete with frosty the snowman and snowflakes.

We went back to Ritmo Tropical for a delicious Pizza and then went back to the crossroads near Frank's Place for ice cream. Since we had to get up and be on the road by 6:30 to catch the 8am ferry we were in bed by 9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment